Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Thing About Soup

I have a thing for soups. Slightly thin and creamy broccoli soup in the summer. Thick, rich vegetable soups the second it becomes sweater weather (or I at least think it should be sweater weather). Hearty beef stews come winter, split pea as comfort food, or chicken noodle yumminess whenever I darn well please.

I just made a pot of vegetable soup. I'm pretty free form with the vegetable kinds. Whatever looks good just kind of goes in.

Vegetable Soup
Ingredients:
1 onion, minced.
3 carrots, peeled and chopped fine.
3 celery ribs chopped fine.
1 large handful of green beans, washed, trimmed and cut into thirds.
4 leaves of chard, sliced super thin.
1 bag of frozen peas.
5 red potatoes, washed and diced. 
3 boxes of chicken broth (yes, this does make a lot of soup - more for later)
Salt and pepper to taste
Tarragon
Oregano
Basil
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil

Directions:
Heat the butter and oil in a large soup pot over medium heat until the butter is melted. Add the onion, carrot, celery and a heavy pinch of salt to the pot. Stirring occasionally, cook until the vegetables are translucent and smell amazing. Add the broth and other vegetables. Stir. Add the spices to taste (I have never measured my spices in a soup and I don't intend to start now) and simmer until the potatoes are soft.

Serve with a hunk of crusty bread. Yum.


1 comment:

  1. I love soup too. I think that it should not just be a fall/winter food. I eat it whenever I want to also XD

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Help, The Stash is Attacking! When Yarn, Knitting and Growing Up Go Terribly Awry by Kimberly Lewis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at thestashattacked.blogspot.com.